It is common to think that oily skin is necessarily hydrated. It's wrong. Dehydration is a problem that affects all skin types , even the oiliest. What are the origins and symptoms of this type of skin? How to take care of dehydrated oily skin ? Explanations.
What are the origins of dehydrated oily skin?
A dehydrated epidermis lacks water. In fact, the skin is made up of 70% water. It needs to be hydrated daily to build up reserves. Dehydration is therefore not only specific to dry skin , but can affect all skin types.
Other factors are at the origin of the lack of hydration:
- Pollution ;
- The tobacco ;
- Hormonal changes;
- Seasonal changes and climatic conditions;
- Poor diet ;
- Lack of sleep ;
- Unsuitable and aggressive cosmetic products for the skin;
- Taking certain medications;
- Skin aging;
- Eczema .
Also read: How to determine your skin type?
What are the signs of dehydrated oily skin?
Dehydrated oily skin shows the following signs:
- Dead skin;
- Tightness, feeling of discomfort after cleansing the face;
- Streaks at the corners of the eyes and around the lips;
- Patches of dryness on the cheeks;
- Dull complexion ;
- Excess sebum ;
- Acne pimples.
It's common to confuse nourished skin with hydrated skin . Nourishing the epidermis consists of providing it with lipids, in other words, fatty substances. It needs it to maintain its suppleness and elasticity, protect the skin, retain hydration and boost cell renewal.
Hydration brings water to the skin. It contributes to its comfort, improves the absorption of care and contributes to the regeneration of the skin .
Read also: 10 signs to recognize dehydrated skin
How to treat dehydrated oily skin?
- Cleanse the skin with a gentle cleansing gel to eliminate traces of sebum and impurities accumulated during sleep.
- Apply a moisturizing serum. The active ingredients to favor when choosing a serum are hyaluronic acid, plant collagen, glycerol, rice protein, silk protein, cucumber extract and aloe vera gel.
- Use an anti-blemish treatment to regulate sebum production and reduce acne pimples and blackheads.
- Finish by applying sun protection or HRB-3 anti-dark spot day care , which contains SPF 30.
- Cleanse your skin with an alcohol-free micellar water to remove make-up and all traces of sunscreen.
- Clean it with a mild cleansing gel .
- Apply thermal water to soothe your skin and limit irritation.
- Use a serum concentrated in moisturizing active ingredients.
- Finish by applying an anti-blemish treatment , then the HRB-3 anti-dark spot treatment, night formula if you have hyperpigmentation spots .
What are the mistakes to avoid when you have dehydrated oily skin?
Choose unsuitable treatments
Although your skin is dehydrated, avoid products that are too rich. This would accentuate excess sebum and promote the appearance of imperfections.
Similarly, it is recommended not to use occlusive or overly aggressive treatments so as not to damage the hydrolipidic film of the skin barrier . The role of this film is to prevent the natural evaporation of water from the skin tissue . When the film is no longer in good condition, it can no longer fulfill its role, and the skin tissue becomes dehydrated.
Apply products containing alcohol
Alcohol makes the skin more fragile and promotes the overproduction of sebum.
Read also: 10 tips for well-hydrated skin
Knowing your skin type allows you to choose the right products to take care of it. If you are unable to determine whether your skin is dry, oily or combination, you have the possibility of carrying out a free personalized diagnosis.